Thursday, October 6, 2016

Monday, October 3, 2016

Annyeonghashimnikka?

Did you enjoy your conference weekend? Don't spoil too much for me... We'll watch conference here this weekend. For missionaries, I think conference may be the most talked about event in the mission field, starting about six months before the actual meeting. One conference ends, and immediately the countdown for the next conference begins. This will be my third general conference in the mission field. That's an odd thought. Three more general conferences, and who knows what cross-road of life we'll be standing at? "Shigan barli ganda." Time goes fast.

I got my MRI results this week. It turns out that my meniscus only had minor damage. Apparently I partially tore my ACL. The rest of the image showed up as a black spot, meaning blood, or, a bruise. So the diagnosis: ACL has a small tear and a contusion. BUT, the ligament is intact, meaning surgery is not required. I just have to make sure and not do anything stupid for the next month or so. :)

I'm feeling very, very blessed. I know that your prayers have helped a lot. I am confident that God intends for me to make it to the finish line, and I'm so grateful that I'll be able to keep going and keep serving and keep learning here in Korea.

In other news, after a few weeks of postponement, my friend Kim Kyeongdeok was finally baptized on Saturday. I spend close to 30 minutes talking to him on the phone most nights, and he visits us here in Sangin at least once a week. He is one of my closest friends, and to be able to see him baptized was one of the biggest blessings of the 14 months I've been on my mission. I've found that there is no way to help someone else grow in the gospel without yourself growing with them. After the service, he bore a powerful testimony, and he even invited his sister and a couple of friends to his baptism.

Brother Kim's baptism.

Last night we saw a big miracle here in the Sangin area. I've mentioned the difficulty we have had in finding people to teach, and I am confident it is a trial of our faith. Last night, after hours of contacting, we gave a card to a man who didn't seem to have a ton of interest and then went on our merry way. A few minutes later, he called and asked us to come back and walk with him. We walked and talked for over an hour, and right before he got on his bus, he asked us to call him later because he wants to learn more. I feel like meeting him was a direct answer to weeks of prayer.

I am not sure if you know about the song called "One by One" by Elder Bednar. Elder Kirkham was one of the first to sing it in the MTC. It's a powerful song. A few of the Sangin ward members have asked me to spend the next few weeks translating it into Korean so they can sing it at a stake meeting. It's been a neat experience. The Korean language can convey such a depth of emotion, so it really adds a neat element to the song. I feel like this is perfect preparation to meet Elder Bednar in a few weeks. He will be speaking to the whole Busan mission on October 21.

Elder Kirkham is great, and we are having a blast serving here together. I have been blessed with wonderful companions.

Well, that's basically it for my week. One scripture, before I close.

Psalm 121:2-3
"My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber."

This scripture proved true for me over the last week. I know the Lord does not slumber, but is active in every second of our lives.

Love,
Elder Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment