Monday, October 10, 2016

Monday, October 10, 2016
Annyeonghaseyo

Time is short today, so I'll jump right in.

Conference was incredible, of course. We got to watch it this weekend. So many powerful talks. I feel kind of a change in the air. I can't quite place my finger on it, but something was different. I feel like the messages were all very focused on finding more joy, rejoicing in the Savior, and charging ahead. The world is speeding forward faster now than ever before, and the church is not one whit behind. I'm grateful I get to be a witness of the going forth of the restored gospel in the last days.

I think my very favorite talk from all the meetings was by Elder Robert D. Hales. He quoted one of my all time favorite quotes: "You lift me and I'll lift thee and we'll both ascend eternally." His talk was so focused on forgiveness, kindness, and love.

He asked the question, "If I loved the Savior more, would I suffer less?" That has been the base of most of my thoughts for the last few days. Not that I feel like I am suffering, but I wonder what kind of difference more love for the Savior in my own life can make. If I loved the Savior more, would my life take on a new purpose? Would I see things differently? Would I see others differently? I think absolutely yes.

This is the last week of the transfer. By next Monday I could be somewhere entirely different with a new companion, again. Or not.

Elder Kirkham and I were street contacting yesterday, and I asked him to tell me honestly how he thinks the transfer went. He told me that he had heard so many people say that you see the most miracles when you are a trainee, and you almost always see a baptism. He noted that we hardly had any investigators, much less a baptism, and although he enjoyed training, he didn't feel like it was anything spectacular as far as miracles.

Without intending to sound discouraged or disappointed, I would have to agree that this transfer did not seem to be too huge in the miracle department. Actually, it may have been one of the slower transfers of my mission. Why? I honestly am not sure, but it has been on my mind a lot and I have talked to President Barrow about it a lot too. I know we worked hard and gave everything we could to the Lord, and so I know I can finish this transfer feeling confident that the Lord is proud.

It's easy to do missionary work when you have lots of investigators and you are experiencing huge miracles daily. It's easy to go out and contact when people are receptive. It's easy to feel close to the Lord when you feel you are a tool in His capable hands. The real test of faith comes when you are still trying to give your all and doing everything you are supposed to and the miracles don't seem to be coming, and the people just don't seem to be receptive.

In my opinion, experiencing huge miracles is just as important as not experiencing huge miracles. Why? Because in the latter situation, you have the opportunity to prove to the Lord that you still trust Him, you still will follow Him, and you are not going to slacken or give up even though you are not seeing the results of your labors.

As President Uchtdorf said, "All will work out. All will be okay." I know that the Lord has greater purposes in mind, and that His hand is still steadily guiding this work and our individual lives. Be it according to His will.

Love,
Elder Sorensen

PS. Thank you for all the birthday wishes. For the record, I have been 21 in Korean age since January 1st, and I will turn 22 this upcoming January 1st. So 20 is nothing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment