
Hey, here's two free baptisms, give or take!
This week I've seen more miracles than I can count. But what's new?
I'm going to jump right in. During transfer meeting a few weeks ago, President Barrow told us that he has a vision of each companionship in the Korea Busan mission achieving one baptism PER WEEK, and that that is the new mission goal. Of course at first everyone was a little shocked, including myself, thinking "do you know how difficult it is to get one baptism PER YEAR in Korea??" Most missionaries that I have talked to that have been out for a year or more have only been a part of one baptism. But as word began to spread that President Barrow is completely serious, and expects us to strive for one baptism per week, a sort of fire started.
Who am I to doubt the Lord?
I'm already having a little trouble writing this. I have seen some incredible miracles. As a mission, we have been fasting and praying that we will be able to accomplish President Barrow's challenge and get one baptism per week per companionship.
Last week we received a referral from the Sister team serving with us here in Goejong. A young man, 26 years old, attended many different churches but saw lots of corruption. Interested in learning English. He came to our English class on Friday and we had a chance to talk to him a bit. (I really like this guy because his Korean is SUPER easy to understand. He speaks very clearly and slowly and simply. Perfect.) He agreed to take the lessons. We met with him the next day, Saturday, and taught him the first discussion.
Yesterday, Sunday, he came to church. He actually followed our commitment to read and pray about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, and said he felt a warm, peaceful feeling. We taught him the Plan of Salvation during the second hour of church, then invited him to be baptized on January 10... and he said yes!
Wait, it gets better. Only moments after extending the baptismal commitment, a woman that I have never met before stuck her head in the door. (Elder O told me later that she is a less-active woman who hasn't been to church in months.) She said "missionaries, I want you two to teach and baptize my two sons, ages 9 and 10." Hold on, did you just hand us two baptisms?
In about an hour and a half we are meeting with our most promising investigator yet. He actually contacted us first, and has been desperately trying to set up an appointment. Elder O taught him a brief summary of the Plan of Salvation over the phone and he loved it. Tonight, we plan to invite him to be baptized on January 3rd.
For those of you counting at home, that takes care of almost every week in January.
That's just our area. You should hear some of the miracles happening in some of the other areas. From what I have heard, the South Busan Zone was previously known as sort of a "dead area." I feel like I have been humbled into the dust. The work is hastening forward, and I am so grateful for such an inspired mission president. One baptism per week... why not?
Bak Mingyu is progressing very well and still plans to be baptized in two weeks. I wish you could meet that guy. He's like the Asian version of Collins Cochran, and he even kind of looks like him.
I need to write quick, time is running out! As you know, last week I went on exchange with the Zone Leader in Haeundae Beach. We met with a man way out in the countryside who has been meeting with the missionaries for months. As we were talking to him, he stopped and in perfect English said "When I look into your eyes, I see something different. You missionaries have something that other people don't have, that's why I like to meet with you. You make me feel happy." Despite this, he still claims he doesn't know if he believes in God because every time he starts to believe he thinks it's just his mind compensating for the desire to live forever. Super interesting guy. It was a boost to my testimony that the Spirit really does set members of the church apart.
One last fun fact, then I need do be done. The Zone Leader told me that he read before he left that missions account for between 10 and 20 years of life experience. If that's true, then no wonder college girls can't keep away from RMs! Jonah told me that all college girls went through an "I will only date RMs because they care about me as a person" stage. (Shout out to you buddy if you're reading this.) Haha. I had a good laugh about that. So basically, I'll return home as a 34 year man. Nice.
The church is true, the Book is blue. I have no doubt in my mind.
Love you all!
Elder Sorensen



No comments:
Post a Comment