Cabbage and Such
I'm going to keep this one fairly short because I want to take a little more time writing personal emails today. But I'll talk to you via Skype in less than two weeks!
First, of course, is Bak Mingyu's baptism. It was one of the most spiritual and happy days of my life. I love that guy. It was a beautiful baptismal service. Elder O performed the baptism, and I had the wonderful opportunity to speak and bear testimony. It was an incredible day.
We have been teaching the two young boys I mentioned a few weeks ago, and their baptisms are scheduled for January 3rd.
President and Sister Barrow came out for the baptismal service, which was so neat. It was a fun experience, seeing as Sister Barrow doesn't speak any Korean, so I was assigned to translate for her during church. Haha... yah. Korean is so tough to translate. Even if I understand what someone is saying, putting it into English is very tough. In Korean, there are certain endings you can add to verbs and such that imply a level of emotion, and you can't really express that in English. Anyway, during Sacrament meeting, Sister Barrow got up to bear her testimony (luckily, Sister Nielsen, who is going home this week, translated for her). I could literally feel the power of her testimony. So simple, so short, but so incredibly powerful. It was like listening to Elder Holland, if you know what I mean.
This last week Elder O and I went to Yeongdo Island to help the Elders there with a Kimchi making service project. Koreans take their fermented cabbage seriously. The lady in charge told me to "be gentle with the cabbage, as if it were your girlfriend." And I don't think she was kidding.
This week I will go on exchanges with Elder Lee from Daeshin. He doesn't speak a word of English, so it should be pretty interesting.
More next week!
-Elder Sorensen

No comments:
Post a Comment