Monday, December 28, 2015

December 28, 2015
Merry Christmas!

Elder Sorensen playing Santa at a preschool.
I hope you all are enjoying the holidays. I really loved seeing all your faces on Christmas. I wish I could have had an hour to talk to each of you individually. Looking back at that phone call, I feel as though I just sort of rambled for an hour. I was very disorganized. It's very difficult to try and fit so many experiences and feelings into only an hour.

So I'm writing this email from my new area in Haeundae Beach. We got all settled in and we're just relaxing and enjoying the rest of P-day. My new companion, Elder Ku Yeonghyeon, seems fantastic. He's quiet, but not in an awkward way. It's a peaceful quiet, which I LOVE. I think I will really enjoy serving here in Haeundae with him.

On Christmas night, Bak Mingyu took me and Elder Oh out to eat. When I told him I was transferring to Haeundae, he cried. On Sunday he wrote me a short letter. Remember how I told you all those weeks ago that when I first met Bak Mingyu, I felt like I had know him forever? In his letter, he told me that the first time we met, he felt like he had known me for a long time.He thanked me for helping him find God and said he's the happiest he's ever been.he said that even though we will be separated physically, he believes that spiritually we will always be close, and that our friendship is eternal. I truly believe that. I remember Rhonda McCallister telling me many years ago that there may have been people we knew in the previous life whom we knew would not be born into the gospel. She told me to imagine myself promising those friends in the life before that I would do everything I can to find them and bring them the gospel. I believe with all my heart that I knew Bak Mingyu long before I ever landed in Korea. 

I've found that the hardest part about missionary work is not the rigorous schedule. It's not going out of your comfort zone to talk to people. It's not even the language. The hardest part is being repeatedly asked to pick up your suitcases, leave everything behind, and start over. First with the MTC. It took me a few days to realize what I had just committed to. I missed my family and friends. But I pressed ahead and formed new relationships. Nine weeks together with my MTC district brought us very, very close. The things you experience together in the MTC mold very tight bonds. But then we arrived in Korea, and for the second time I was asked to leave it all behind and start over, as we all went our separate ways across Busan. After a few weeks, I formed new relationships with my companion, my new district, investigators and branch members. I came to love them as I did with my MTC district. And now, I'm starting over again. New companion. New district. New members.

I believe President Barrow is very inspired, and Haeundae is where the Lord needs me to be serving. So, once again, I will charge ahead and form new relationships.

The hardest part about missionary work is also one of the greatest blessings. Like Bak Mingyu said, we are only separated physically. The relationships I have made here are truly eternal. And every six weeks, at transfer meeting, I get to see all my old friends from the MTC and my old districts, and it's always such a powerful reunion.

I'm super excited to get to work here in Haeundae. There is a lot of work to be done, and I'm ready. I know, I really truly know, that this is the Lord's work. I saw more miracles than I can count while serving in Goejong. I wish I had the time to write about more of them. I know this gospel is true, and I am so grateful to be a part of it. As I sat thinking to myself a few nights ago, I realized how truly happy I am. I'm tired, and it's not always easy, but I am happy. Just happy. 

I love you all! Enjoy the holidays :)

Elder Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment