Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 4, 2016

Sun and Fun, Pruny Old Men, and a Baptism

Where do I start this week?
How about with a baptism.

Remember how I told you about those two young boys that Elder Oh and I taught, the two sons of a less-active member? Here's a bit more behind that story. The mother is actually a returned missionary and LOVES the church. However, she came home from her mission and got married and her husband forbid her to go to church (those darn husbands... we run into a lot of husband-related problems). So for the last 15 years she has not been able to go to church. She had a very powerful experience involving the Sister missionaries a few months ago, and felt very strongly that it was time for her to mention church again to her husband. He still doesn't want anything to do with the church, but he told her she can go if she wants to. So the Sunday following that experience is when we met her and she asked us to teach and baptize her two sons.

Elder Oh and I spent the last few weeks teaching her two young boys, but then I got transferred last week so I thought I would not get to be a part of it. When one of the boys found out, he was really upset, and so was the mother. She said it didn't feel right to have another missionary baptize them when Elder Oh and I were the missionaries who taught them. So she pulled some strings... and I traveled back to Goejong yesterday and was able to perform the baptism for her older son, Bak Jihyeon, age 12.

Experiences like that out-rule everything else. It's experiences like that that really open your eyes to the eternal perspective. Raising my arm to the square and speaking those sacred words is an experience I can't put into words, so I'm not going to try.

​Bak Jihyeon (left) and Bak Junha (right) and some random Asian boy
who just wanted to be in the picture (far left)

Now, about my new area, Haeundae. Wow. This may be the most beautiful place on the planet. The first thing I noticed upon arriving: "Holy crap, I can kind of understand these people!" The dialect is not as thick here as it is down south in Goejong. Haeundae is the most popular beach in Korea, and the city is absolutely beautiful. And enormous. And this is where the most wealthy people in Busan live. Stats for this week: 5 Mazaratis, a Lamborghini, and a Bentley showroom. What can you expect from a city whose motto is "Sun and Fun?" We traveled to downtown Haeundae (which, by the way, is home to the largest department store in the world. And yes, it's enormous.) I saw an advertisement for this summer's "Yacht Convention," and thought about dad. He would enjoy that. I saw into the marina from about the 10th floor of a hospital, and I doubt there was a sailboat there that was under 50 feet. If you get a chance, I encourage you to google Haeundae and look for photos, because I haven't had a chance to take many yet.

You asked how Koreans celebrate New Years. It's about the same as in America. Mostly just big sales and stuff. However, Lunar New Year is the biggest holiday in Korea, and I've heard it gets a little crazy (LOTS of alcohol). That's coming up next month, right before transfers.

I've told you before, but this language is amazing. I had an experience this week, while talking to an older man on one of Haeundae's many jogging paths that wind through beautiful parks and enormous buildings.It was like my ears were opened and my tongue was loosed, and all of a sudden I was speaking Korean. The only reason I mention these experiences is because I have long since come to realize that my ability to speak Korean is, in fact, not my ability at all.

He wouldn't do a serious face, but here's my awesome companion,
Elder Ku Yeonghyeon
Our apartment is very nice. There's four of us living there (me and Elder Ku, and the Zone Leaders Elder Harkness and Elder Oh Kitaek). It's super fun being in a four man house :) we don't have beds, just mats (called "yos") that we roll out on the floor at night, so every night is like a bro camping trip.

My companion is fantastic. We really have a lot of fun together. He's a super hard worker, but he knows how to just have fun as well. He speaks English quite well, considering he didn't start learning until he left of his mission. I feel very blessed, once again, to have a Korean companion, because it really forces me to learn the language.

This morning, Elder Harkness and I got up super early and went to the local traditional bath house. Why are there no traditional Asian bath houses near Alpine? I have no idea. It was fantastic (as long as you're not afraid of old, pruny naked men. I've never seen so much CULTURE.)

White-washing has been an adventure, but already it looks like we may have one or two potential investigators. We hit the streets early and start proselyting, and the Lord leads us to people who are prepared. Really, I have seen the Lord's hand this week in incredible ways.

Being a missionary is the most incredible thing. Really. I'm a little worried that the rest of my life is down-hill from here, because I am having the time of my life. It's work, but it's so rewarding. As President Monson once said:
"I slept and dreamt that life was joy;
I awoke and saw that life was duty.
I acted, and behold: duty was joy."

As for a New Years Resolution, I decided on one, and it as well comes from President Monson. Four things I will focus on this year: I will listen, I will learn, I will labor, and I will love.

This gospel is true. I know it is. It brings me so much joy, so much understanding, and so much comfort when I need it. Never forget that we worship The One who knows and sees all, and that there is a destiny prepared for each of us if we will but choose to accept it by following God's will.

I love you all. Until Next week!

-Elder Sorensen

From the apartment.


No comments:

Post a Comment