Christmas
Thanks for the early email! It was really great to talk to everyone yesterday.
The first two times I called home, it didn't seem like much had changed. This time, however, it was obvious that a lot of time has passed. Everyone looks and sounds different.
I guess I really am running out of time, huh? I think that I'm beginning to feel the need for a bit of a change. It's never been easy for me staying in one area for too long. You know how much I loved going for drives or out for a walk. I have a hard time being in the same place for a long time.
![]() |
| Sangin sunset from our rooftop. |
My missionary work so far seems to be split into various stages. The stage I'm at now seems to be coming to a close. I think, very shortly, I will begin the final stage of my missionary work, whatever that stage may be.
I shared this scripture with an investigator the other day and it got me thinking. Thinking about the "evidence of things not seen" that is spoken of in that verse. I feel that this last year, I received that evidence. A firm and undeniable witness from the Lord that this is His work, this is His gospel, and that He lives and knows me. That evidence came not from the things I witnessed. I think very little evidence is ever drawn from the things we see. (Think about Laman and Lemuel seeing an angel--what good did that do them? They still rebelled and denied the faith.) Rather, that witness came from the things I've felt--both in the quiet hours of the night spent in prayer, and the moving experiences had with investigators when testimonies are shared and the Spirit is strong.
In 3 Nephi 1, the righteous look forward to the sign prophesied by Samuel when there will be a day and a night and a day as if it were one day, while the wicked plan to kill all the righteous if the sign doesn't appear. I have wondered to myself this Christmas, "Would I have had enough faith to declare my belief out loud? Would I have believed only in my heart, for fear that if I made my belief known, I would face the threat of death?"
I don't remember who said it, but one of the Apostles once said that "no true disciple of Christ can check his religion at the door." The Christmas initiative this year was, of course, to "Light the World." When we "check our religion at the door," or we keep our belief hidden in our heart, we hide the Light necessary to "Light the World." We should, in all times and all places, "be an example of the believers," proud and bold about what we believe, even in the face of rejection.
Christmas is past, but the Christmas initiative still stands. I know that we have the ability to light the world through the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I love you guys! Merry Christmas--
Elder Sorensen
![]() |
| Found a Ninja mask. |


No comments:
Post a Comment