Sunday, December 18, 2016

Monday, December 19, 2016
A lesson on promptings and Christmas and such.

It was a cold week!

Unfortunately our friend Bak Jongbaek whom I mentioned last week was not able to come to church on Sunday due to his work being about an hour away in another city and him not finishing until late Sunday morning. But, we're still hopeful about him.

I spent Thursday and part of Friday here in Sangin on exchange with one of our zone leaders, my good friend Lee Sunho. We took a bus out into the countryside to visit the bishop at a small restaurant he owns. After a good visit with the bishop, we stood to leave right as we saw the bus we take to get home pass the restaurant window. The bus comes about every 20 minutes, so it was no big deal. We decided to go knock on a few doors to use those 20 minutes wisely. Annnnd... nobody was home, so we returned to the bus stop. After waiting there for 3 or 4 minutes, we decided to go try one more door.

Annnnnd.... nobody was home! So we turned back to the bus stop, and rounded the corner right as the bus was pulling up to the stop. We literally missed the bus by about 10 seconds. If the bus driver had seen us running next to the bus, he probably would have stopped, but he didn't.

No big deal, we waited and caught the next bus about 20 mintues later.

On the way home on a small country road winding through farmland, we passed the wreckage of bus 606, the one we had missed by 10 seconds. Somehow, it had a head-on collision with a garbage truck, crumpling the front of both vehicles inward a good 3 or 4 feet. Had we not gone and knocked on one more door and hadn't missed the bus by 10 seconds, we would have been in that collision.

I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. The Lord sends us and the Spirit prompts us, on occasion, to go somewhere or say something or do something, and oftentimes we see no result, causing us to sometimes question if it really was the Spirit's prompting. 

Nobody answered the door when we had the feeling to go knock on one last door. But the Lord knew nobody would. His purpose in sending us to one last house was not to find a prepared investigator, as we thought, but rather to make us miss our bus.

It was actually a pretty eventful week, but because I'll be talking to you in real time in a week, I'll just end here.

I'm planning to call sometime between 12:30 and 1pm on Christmas day, Korean time. I'm not sure what time that is in Utah... it'll be Christmas eve evening. Just sign into your google account, and I'll call as soon as I can :)

Love you guys! I hope everyone has a merry Christmas.

Elder Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment