Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016
The Prepared and the Unprepared

Hello!

I mentioned the boy that lives right next to the church, Kim Kyeongdeok. We have been meeting with him regularly. Originally, he told us he doesn't believe in Christ. Elder Roper and I both felt like we should ask him to read Alma chapter 5, verses 33-62. At the end of our lesson on Tuesday, we asked him to read those verses as a commitment. Because one of my goals this transfer is to amp up the pressure a little on investigators and show them that we are serious about this, I added "please read all those verses BEFORE English class tomorrow night," giving him about 24 hours.

The following night, he showed up to English class about 30 minutes early. Elder Roper and I were in another lesson, but I could see him waiting eagerly outside the door. We didn't have time to talk to him before English class started, but at the end, he motioned us over, and literally said "Elders, when can I be baptized?"

His date is set for September 11, and he has been telling everyone about it. It's amazing what the Lord can do with those who are prepared. Just a few weeks ago, this boy didn't believe in Christ, now he wants to follow Him into the waters of baptism.

Lots of bromance going on here. The boy on my left hand side is Kim Kyeongdeok.

We have this incredible young 21 year old Filipino boy in the Jungni ward named Brian. He was baptized about 10 months ago. He can't speak any Korean, so we translate sacrament meeting for him on Sundays. He has become one of my best friends, and one of my biggest examples. His testimony is an inspiration. I'll have to tell you more about him later when I have more time (like in a year or so). He called a few days ago and said "Elder Sorensen, I don't have work tomorrow. If I wear a white shirt and tie, can I come proselyte with you?" So we let him, and he spent about 4 hours out in the blazing sun and dripping humidity teaching with us, even though he doesn't speak Korean. And he loved it. We saw some amazing miracles that day. 

About 3 hours in, we stopped at a small shop to cool down and eat ice cream. (President Barrow says ice cream is the food of the Gods and we should eat it once or twice a day on those hot days outside proselyting.) While there, a Korean man came and sat down next to us, and in absolute fluent English he told us he has been attending college in Texas and recognized us as missionaries. We really don't run into fluent English speakers very often, so that in itself was a miracle. With us, Brian got to help teach this man a bit about the gospel.

We taught him the entire first discussion, and he listened pretty well, for the most part. Than he said something I didn't expect. "I don't mean to be rude, but you need to work on your persuasion skills. Also, you can't be so bold and straightforward when trying to share your mental theory with others. You will scare them away."

I thought about that for days. Is my belief a mental theory? The Spirit has confirmed to me many times this week that it is not. It is not a theory. It is not wishful thinking. It is the truth. I also thought about what he said about us needing to work on our persuasion skills. It's true, we aren't the best teachers. I mean seriously, I'm a 19 year old boy, I've only been out of high school for a year, and sometimes I have no idea what's going on. But I remembered this scripture that another missionary shared with me nearly 8 months ago.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God."

Just like Paul, I can say that I know relatively little, save only Jesus Christ. My speech is not with "enticing words of man's wisdom." I can't go out and Bible bash like these preachers who study for years in school, or answer every question or argument thrown my way. But I have a testimony of Christ, and of Him I am a witness. I know this to be His true church, and all I can really do is testify of that fact. I know that He works through small and simple means, like the testimony of a 19 year old, to accomplish His purposes. Those with the "ears to hear" will hear, and eloquence of speech will not matter.

As for being bold. According to this man, boldness is not a good thing, for it creates an atmosphere of pressure. But as I thought about that too, I decided, what other way is there to share the gospel? President Barrow once told me in an interview, quoting one of the prophets, "if missionaries understood the importance of their message, they would not walk, but run from door to door." Because of the importance of the message we carry, we have no choice but to share it with boldness, for it will literally make an eternity of difference to the listener. And PMG even says that "boldness brings the Spirit." What choice do we have?

This gospel is true.

I love you guys! Thank you family for the wonderful "hump day" card. It made my whole week :) Nothing means more than those handwritten letters. Enjoy school...

Elder Sorensen


Korean grapes are huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment