Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday, September 5, 2016
MTC Fire

Annyeonghaseyo.

Sorry about the lack of emails last week. I was having a hard time knowing what to include in my letter. Truthfully, the last two weeks have been two of the most eventful, spiritual weeks of my mission so far. I wish I could give you every detail.

Kim Kyeongdeok is amazing. I feel very strongly that he is the reason I was sent to Jungni. We have had some incredible experiences with him over the last few days. He is still scheduled to be baptized next week. Without going into too much detail, he told me of a dream he had the other day telling him that he needs to serve a mission. He mentioned it to his father, and his father told him that if he decides to serve a mission for our church, he will support him. He had a very powerful experience answering his prayers to know if this church is true.

After teaching him about temples during the second hour of church, I noticed his countenance drop. During the third hour, I asked him if he would like to duck out for a moment and talk about it. He told us that he realized that if his family doesn't accept the gospel with him, they cannot be sealed in the temple as a family. So, he invited his whole family to his baptism and is currently one of the strongest (almost) member missionaries I have ever seen.

​Elder Roper, myself, Bishop Kim Irju, Kim Kyeongdeok

This last week, we received a random text message from a 22-year-old boy saying we gave him a picture of Jesus (our contact card) and he wants to come to church. He accepted the first discussion very well, and it looks as if he will be baptized the last week of September.

Remember how President Barrow told us we are "tipping the iceberg"? We had Stake Conference this last week for the Daegu Stake, and five investigators showed up. It was one of the happiest moments of my mission.

Then Saturday night President Barrow called, I packed my bags, jumped on a bus with my new trainee, and now I am writing to you from the area of Sangin, about 40 minutes south of Jungni.

Elder Kirkham
Elder Kirkham is from Orem. We are the same age, he went to a year at BYU for leaving to the MTC a few weeks ago. Training lasts 2 transfers (12 weeks), and he has actually already been here for 6 weeks. So I will be "half" training him. His original trainer got sent to Busan to finish his last transfer as AP, so I am taking his place. I spent a couple of days with him on an exchange a few weeks ago, so we are already quite close. And I can tell you, these next few weeks are going to be a blast.

As I start over again in a new area, of course there is some sadness. I have never been so disappointed to leave an area. I will never forget the amazing miracles Elder Roper and I experienced up in Jungni. But, at the same time, I am excited to get to work here in Sangin. Trainees arrive in the mission carrying something that older missionaries call "MTC fire." And that word fits so perfectly.

I wish I could write more. I'll try to make more time next week. I love you all so much, and I'm so grateful for the prayers and the emails. I feel happier than I have ever been, and I'm grateful to be a witness of Christ.

Elder Sorensen

Jungni District






No comments:

Post a Comment