Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016

WE ARE ONE

Hello! Sorry, I need to make this one quick, so I'll just answer some questions and give some quick highlights.

Yes, our home is in the main city on a big island. The ward meets in a meeting house. Yes, we eat lots of fish. And yes, Elder Mahler is in my district and I am going on exchanges with him on Wednesday and Thursday!

-First, a man I met on exchanges with another Elder actually came to church on Sunday! It was such a huge miracle. We hope to start teaching him this week.

-A few nights ago, Elder Stoker and I were out proselyting, and we went inside the inter-city bus terminal to use the restroom. When we walked inside, a man saw us and smiled really big. We bowed, as is custom, then went to use the restroom. He followed us inside, then motioned for us to follow him. We stood outside the bathroom and talked for a few minutes. He seemed like a really nice man. He has seen missionaries a lot, so Elder Stoker asked, "What do you think of missionaries?"

The man: "I think you are wonderful. Wonderful." Then it got a little freaky. He suddenly started clicking his teeth while staring at the ground, then stomped his foot and looked up quickly. His voice completely changed, and he said over and over again "oorineun hanada..." That translates as "we are one." Elder Stoker and I about jumped out of our skins. We turned and got out of there as quickly as we could.

Annnnnd, I'm already out of time. Sorry! I'll try to write more next week.

Love,
Elder Sorensen

SAJIN (picture)

​This is how we spent our p-day. We braved the freezing cold wind and hiked to the top of a mountain. Pictures don't do it justice. It was pretty foggy, so it was hard to see, but all those hills in the distance are islands.

​And here's a fortress built in the 1600s to defend against Japanese pirates. You know, the usual.

​More islands...


Just another night out knocking on doors...


​Mom, you keep asking about our apartment. It's nothing fancy, but it works.
We have a small bedroom and a stove as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment