Monday, February 15, 2016
Annyeonghaseyo! Jarji nessumnikka?
Wow, Tongyeoung. Just wow. This is an incredibly beautiful area. Our are is so large that to travel to any of the other areas in our district it takes about an hour or two (depending on where you are going) on a direct-line bus that flies through rice fields at 70mph. We had district meeting a few days ago on another island that takes a couple of hours to get to. Then we went another couple of hours to a different area so Elder Stoker could do a baptismal interview (he's the district leader). Then we took the bus home about another three hours. In total, about 7 hours on the bus. I love the extra time to study or just watch the amazing scenery go by.
![]() |
| Out knocking on doors with a great view of one of the islands. Notice the apartments in the distance... |
Also, Elder Kimble Mahler is in my district, so I see him a couple of times a week!
Mom, the answer to your questions:
Yes, to travel between islands we take a bus or walk (most of them are connected with bridges). For some of the other islands, we have to take a ferry. We are some of the only missionaries in the world who are allowed to travel on boats. Asa!
My companion is Elder Bryson Stoker from Springville Utah, and he's the greatest human alive. He is nearing the end of his mission, so his Korean is fluent and I'm learning lots and lots from him. We have a nice little apartment near the church, and only about a couple of blocks from the sister missionaries, so it makes it easy to do area planning.
You asked me to explain why I feel different. I've thought about it a lot, and I'm not really sure. It's hard to measure change in yourself, you know? On my second day in Korea, I went out and proselyted with Elder Stoker for part of the day. He told me a couple of days ago that I seem like a totally different person than I was when I first arrived. It was probably the greatest compliment I could have received--to know that I am changing. That, and I've gained about 15 pounds since leaving the MTC.
![]() |
| A nice view of a Buddhist temple in the middle of nowhere... |
Yesterday at church there were 14 members that came, so I was asked to play the piano, say the opening prayer, and give a talk about member missionary work, all about 3 minutes before the meeting started. Although difficult, I loved the challenge, and it feels so good to feel like I'm a part of something. I think this area is quickly becoming my favorite.
We spend a lot of time knocking on doors out in the countryside. I feel like I'm in a movie. You have to realize that Korea was a 3rd world country until the last couple of decades, and a lot of these places out in the country don't have a lot of contact with society. There's an amazing mixture of two very different eras. It's surreal to walk through rice fields while watching the sun go down on the islands in the distance and to see old, traditional Korean homes off a few hundred yards at the end of the dirt road we're on. Many of them don't have running water or electricity. Quite a contrast from Haeundae, I must say.
We met one older man who was out working in the fields, and he took us back to his humble little home and showed us his ancestor book (almost all Koreans have a book that traces their line back to the first ancestor that came to Korea, usually from China). He told us his family has lived in that same spot for 250 years. The culture out here is incredible.
Tomorrow, we will spend almost the whole day helping the bishop build his new home. He lives at the bottom of one of the islands, kind of in the middle of a jungle, with his wife and three kids. Their house blew down a few weeks ago from a storm, so he called and wants us to help him build his new one. I am so blessed to be here serving.
That's funny that you mentioned bul-gogi. You realize that that is a very common Korean dish, and I eat it at least a couple of times a week? And yes, the direct translation is "fire meat." If you want another VERY common Korean dish (I eat this at least every other day because it's so easy to make and EVERYONE serves it to us), try "kimchi chigae." It's extremely healthy, and usually has no meat. It's delicious.
As far as a new address, it's probably better if you just mail everything to the headquarters here. You have the address right? That mail is delivered to us about every two or three weeks, and it's much safer than sending it straight to my apartment.
I'd better end here. I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. I sure love you guys! Please keep doing all the little things like prayer and scripture study. They really do make all the difference. I know that Christ lives, and I know that this is His work. It's amazing how clear your head is when you are out walking through rice fields in the countryside. Sometimes I get a little clouded by the noise and all the distractions around me, but out in those humble villages my purpose, and life's purpose, become so much more clear. I hope we all can take a few minutes to lift up our eyes and refocus on The Savior, and see more clearly, through eternal eyes, our journey here.
Love,
Elder Sorensen



No comments:
Post a Comment