Countryside, Rice, Exchanges, Rice, Miracles, Rice
This was quite an interesting week. I'll start with my favorite part.
On Wednesday, as Elder Koo and I were preparing to leave, suddenly all of our plans for the day fell through. I was absolutely devastated. I went into our study room, knelt down and prayed. I told God that I had no idea what we were supposed to do, and asked Him to lead us. I asked Him to show me what He would have me do. The answer came straight to my heart: "get on your feet and proselyte." I half smiled to myself, and thought "ok! Looks like today will be a full day of proselyting."
We left the apartment and I had the very distinct feeling to get on the bus and go North. I think Elder Koo thought I was crazy. He kept asking me where we were going, and I kept telling him "I have no idea! But I know we are supposed to go this way. Let's just see where this bus takes us." We rode the bus for a solid 45 minutes north into the countryside, past beautiful little ocean-side villages and farm towns. We got off in a town called Kijang and started proselyting. Multiple times we started down various roads and I got the feeling "go the other way." So we wandered for a while. After nearly two hours of this we found ourselves next to a busy highway that cut through the country landscape.
Suddenly, I knew exactly where we were. I had been there before on exchanges with Elder Harkness about two months ago. We had met with a man who owned a small restaurant nearby. (I know I mentioned him in an email a few months ago. He spoke fluent English and had told us that he enjoys meeting the missionaries because he sees "something different in our eyes.") I knew immediately that he was the reason we were there. I never would have been able to find that small town on my own.
We hiked over a large bridge towards the man's restaurant. I called Elder Harkness and Elder Oh Kitaek to find out what happened to the guy (named Sohn Hyeokjun). Elder Harkness told me that after nearly two years of meeting with the missionaries, they finally dropped him last month. He told me we could go talk to him if we want, but that it was probably a waste of time. I told him "actually, I think he's the reason we're here."
We went inside the restaurant and immediately saw brother Sohn cleaning dishes over in the corner. I was a little worried that he wouldn't recognize me because I had only met him once, two months ago. I approached the counter, and he looked up and saw us. He no doubt recognized us as missionaries, and looked a little confused. Then he lit up and said "I remember you! Give me just a minute and I'll be done."
He came and sat with us and we talked for a while. He seemed pleasantly surprised that I remembered so much about him and his family. I told him we were in the area and I felt like I needed to come say 'hi,' but I was a little worried he wouldn't remember me. He told me he remembered me better than most missionaries, and even remembered what we had talked about two months ago. After we talked for a while, he gave us his number and asked us to visit him again. He said he wants to keep meeting the missionaries because he feels good when he's with them.
I remember one of the Apostles said, "would the Lord send one of His Apostles all the way around the world to help one person? Yes. He does it all the time." Did the Lord cancel our plans for the day so we could run into this one man? I believe absolutely He did.
Wow, sorry, that was long. The rest of the week was fun. I got a surprise call from one of the APs on thursday night, Elder Smith, and he told me that President Barrow asked him to exchange with me in the morning. He didn't give any explanation, but we had a great time together. We taught one of the AP's investigators who is doing the 30 30 program (30 minutes of teaching English, 30 minutes of teaching the gospel), and at the end of the lesson, Elder Smith asked him what he thinks. The man replied in very, very slow, broken English: "I think.... perhaps... you messagi... is true." We taught him again in the morning, and the man felt the spirit so powerfully that he had tears in his eyes. Elder Smith is exactly the missionary I hope to become. So good at Korean, so spiritual, and so personable.
I have seen some miracles this week. Every week. Every day. The Lord's hand is so prevalent.
One last thing I want to share, It's a quote from C.S. Lewis.
"We can say that we believe in Christ as we believe in the sun at noon day, not that we can see it, but that by it, we can see everything else."
I'm very grateful for this mission experience. Standing as a witness of Christ has opened my eyes to a world that is much larger, much more complete, and much more real than we sometimes tend to realize. God is there, and He loves us. I have had some experiences that are too sacred and too personal to relate, and I know absolutely that God is watching over us. There are no coincidences. The people we meet, and the people in our lives are not an accident. We are all part of God's Eternal Family, and He has a plan for each of us.
Have a great week everybody! I love you all.
-Elder Sorensen
소랜슨 장로
![]() |
| Haeundae |

No comments:
Post a Comment