Monday, May 1, 2017
An old friend, a lost friend, and the brass serpent.
It was a great week. Lots of meetings. Lots of miracles.
That was exactly one year ago, on April 24th.
Last Wednesday, on April 27th, I got a call from an unknown number. He asked if I was Elder Sorensen, then he asked if I recognized his voice.
It turns out that Brother Ha came down to visit some family in Tongyoung and ran into the Tongyoung Elders! He asked them if they knew me, and they told him I am serving in Masan and gave him my phone number. Coincidentally, he was actually on his way to Masan next to visit his grandfather.
We were able to meet up and go get lunch together. It was so good to see my friend after so long. It turns out that he is now attending university in Seoul. He mentioned that he had even attended church a few times in Seoul. After lunch I asked him if he would drop us off at our apartment (cuz we live at the top of a hill and we had just eaten our weight in meat). He asked if it would be okay if we showed him where the Masan chapel is first. We toured the church together, and then sat down in the quiet Sacrament meeting room. He mentioned that he would like to start attending church in Masan occasionally when he is in town (it sounds like he will be coming to Masan fairly regularly to visit relatives).
That was a cool experience for me, and probably the highlight of my week. The funny thing is that when we were back in Tongyoung, I was afraid to invite him to church for so long because I was worried that the atmosphere there was not very friendly. When I mentioned this to President Barrow, he told me to invite him anyway because a prepared investigator will look past the imperfections in the ward and be able to feel the Spirit there.
It's obvious that Brother Ha felt something different in that little Tongyoung branch, or else he wouldn't have attended church in Seoul and he wouldn't have wanted to see the Masan chapel. Although I was very disappointed that he did not show up to his scheduled baptismal date one year ago, I am certain he will get there eventually. He is walking, with many others, in search of the "straight and narrow path." It won't be long until he realizes that path is right in front of him.
As for our friend Seonji. I have seen few people embrace the gospel like he has. We saw so much change in him over the past few weeks. Unfortunately, right before our scheduled appointment with him on Tuesday night, he texted us to let us know that his father is very against organized religion and that his father has forbidden him to meet with us anymore. He apologized and told us that it is against his will, be that he has no choice and can no longer attend church. We tried to call him immediately, but he blocked our number.
It's hard to describe what it feels like to lose an investigator who has so much potential. I have never gained and lost so many friends as I have in the last 2 years. It's frustrating that people have a hard time looking into the future and recognizing how much is in store for them if they will only "exercise a particle of faith." Many people, within and without the church, are living so far below their potential.
But still, just like Brother Ha, Seonji has begun a journey that may take him several years--maybe even hundreds of years. It's hard to say. Maybe he will run into the missionaries again in a few years and realize, like Brother Ha, that he misses the church and the feelings he felt there. The work will go on, and we will keep on planting seeds.
Sometimes I feel a little like Moses with the brass serpent, waving it around and begging people to look. I'm running around waving this book in the air and yelling "Hey! Here's a Book that confirms the truth of all we are telling you! Just look at it!" People have a hard time believing what they do not see--and many people feel that God has not made himself sufficiently known. But I can promise that "He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11:6)
Alma 37:46
"...do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever."
Love you guys! Have a great week.
Elder Sorensen
CANDIDS FROM PRESIDENT BARROW:
Changwon Zone Conference Hike
![]() |
| Elder Roper and Elder Sorensen |









No comments:
Post a Comment