HELLO, HOW ARE YOU
Annyeonghaseyo,
I loved getting the photos from everyone this week. It's always a little odd to see photos. Sometimes I forget that life is still moving on the other side of the planet!
I can honestly say that I saw more miracles this week than ever before in my entire life. It doesn't feel real that I am here, and life is moving forward faster than ever. That being said, this has been one of the most stressful weeks that I can remember. We are busy busy busy, but loving every second of it. The Lord is hastening His work faster than ever.
Miracle 1:
The Friday after arriving here in Jungni, we were out looking for people to teach late on night. We walked past a small gas station, and there was an older man sitting outside in the dark under the dim gas station lights. He was a little ways away, so we kept on our path. Seconds later, I felt guilty for not walking over and saying hi to him, so we turned around. Had a great little discussion, gave him a Book of Mormon, but he wouldn't give us his phone number, so we told him we will come by and say hi to him the next time we are in the area.
Days later, on Tuesday, again late at night, we were walking through the dark and were close by the gas station, so we decided to go say hi to the man there (named Yu Jeongchae). We turned the corner and there he was, sitting in his chair under the dim gas station lights, Book of Mormon in hand, not only reading but highlighting verses with a pen. In only four days, he had read nearly all of 1st Nephi. He was excited to see us, and proceeded to recite to us the whole 1st book of Nephi, as if we had never read it before. He said "give this book to everyone you see, it's wonderful." Right now we are working on getting him to church.
As we walked away in the dark, I just cried. It makes me sick to think that we almost just passed this man by the first time we saw him.
Miracle 2:
We taught a lesson to Bak Seongjin on Sunday and he accepted a baptismal date for July 10th. He has attended church six times now (that in itself is a miracle). Right now, he he has some slight problems with the Word of Wisdom, but nothing that can't be dealt with.
Miracle 3:
While Elder Roper and I were out proselyting a few days ago, a woman came running up to us and told us to call her Grace. She helped us find the post office, and we invited her come to English class. About an hour later, when we were heading home for dinner, she came running up to us again. She told us a story about how she had experienced spine problems for years, and she believes God healed her. She had just barely gone to the doctor, and he had told her she's crazy. Then she went to her pastor, and he also told her she's crazy. Very quietly, she asked us, "Do you believe God can heal me?" It was one of the most spiritual conversations I had all week. Elder Roper, with his characteristic humility, answered "Yes, we do. God loves you very much, and I think you have been very blessed." Racing through my mind were a million and one different things I wanted to say. Should we introduce the BoM? Should I give her a Plan of Salvation pamphlet? Then I had the thought, "keep it simple." It was quiet for a moment, then I told her, "We have a message that comes from God, and we know it will change your life. Can we meet again later and talk about God?" Immediately, she answered "Yes, of course." As she walked away, Elder Roper and I just stood there in the rain. It felt a little surreal. Standing there in the rain for a few moments, Elder Roper said, "Elder Sorensen, what are we doing right? Everything is falling into place for us." I have no idea, but the blessings just keep coming.
Grace (her Korean name is Yun Jeonghui) called us later and wanted to come to church, but was unable to because she had to take a friend to the hospital. We met her Sunday evening with the Sisters and had an incredible lesson with her. She took a Book of Mormon and was so excited to read it.
Besides the ones I just mentioned, there were literally dozens of little miracles like this all throughout the week. We had some follow-up appointments with a few people we met on the street last week, which is rare. The stress comes from always having multiple people bouncing through my head, trying to figure out their needs and plan lessons, while at the same time trying to master the Korean language so we can teach them more effectively. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I definitely am learning very quickly how to manage constant stress. The trick right now is trying to find a good balance between stressing over investigators needs, and trusting God to make up for what we lack.
One last thought before I close. The other day, while buying some supplies for a project we are doing with the Sisters, we saw a young boy (maybe 7 or 8 years old) in the craft store. EVERY young Korean knows certain cookie cutter phrases ("hello, how are you?", "I am fine, how are you?", "you are very handsome!", etc.), so sometimes we greet young kids in English, just because it's so funny to hear their responses. As we walked past this kid, Elder Roper asked "Hello, how are you?" Expecting to hear back the memorized phrase, "I am fine! How are you?", I was a little startled to hear this young boy exclaim loudly, "I AM HAPPY." It was such a simple encounter, but it stuck with me all week long. How wonderful would it be if we greeted each other with "Hello, how are you?" and everyone was able to respond like this young boy, "I AM HAPPY, HOW ARE YOU?" The truth is, missionary work isn't easy. Life isn't easy. The is a never-ending supply of problems for one and all. But one thing I know for sure is that you are only about as happy as you think you are. So this week, the next time someone says "Hello, how are you?", I dare you to yell really loudly "I AM HAPPY." You might look like an idiot (you will probably look like an idiot), but I guarantee you will both leave with a smile on your face :)
This gospel is true. It's because of this gospel that I can get up every morning, study, head out into the hot sun for hours, then come home and roll out my bed on the floor and think to myself, "I am happy."
Love you all!
Elder Sorensen
No comments:
Post a Comment