Monday, October 12, 2015

October 12, 2015

Well, I'm not in Kansas anymore ...


Wow, where do I start? How about, "Have you eaten any rice today?"

I sent you that email when I landed, so I won't explain how in awe I was when landing first in Incheon and then in Gimhae. So cool.

Here are a few observations about Korea:
First, there are lots of Koreans. And they speak Korean.
Couples match head to foot. We're talking same socks, shoes, shirts... everything.
People are very respectful of their culture, and very proud of it.
Rice. Every. Meal.


My trainer's name is Elder 오의찬 (Oh-wee-chan). He's native, but speaks very good English! I feel very blessed to have a native trainer. It can be a struggle, but it will help me to learn Korean quicker. We are serving in the furthest south area of the mission in an area called 괴정 (Goejeong). Try searching for it on Google Earth! It's absolutely beautiful. There are lots of little peninsulas connected with bridges. When you look out at the ocean, there are dozens of huge freight liners anchored in the harbor. I haven't been able to take very many pictures of the area because we aren't supposed to look like tourists, but I'm sure I'll get some before I leave. I will be in this area with Elder O for twelve weeks.

Elder O is amazing, and I couldn't have asked for a better trainer. I feel a little like I'm weighing him down because I can't really speak Korean yet, but he's very patient with me. He always tells me to remember that he's not training me, God is. It's so true. God is giving me all the experiences I need, the good and the bad. 

We live on the third floor of our apartment complex, and we're the only apartment in the whole mission that has beds! Plus we have a washing machine and everything. So we're basically like a couple of bachelors living it up in the city, and by living it up of course I mean waking up early, praying like crazy, studying the true gospel of Jesus Christ, being perfectly obedient, and preaching to everything that moves. Asa!

Okay, now that details are out of the way, let's get on with the experiences.

On Thursday, while still at the mission home, we did our first jeondo (proselyting) activity. Each new missionary was paired with a potential trainer and hit the streets of Busan to see how much Korean they knew (or didn't know...). After 40 minutes with each trainer, we would switch and go proselyte with someone else. SUPER fun!

People here are hilarious! I sometimes have a hard time containing my laughter. During the jeondo activity, here are some of the highlights:
  • I told a man that I was from Utah, and he started jumping up and down shooting fake baskets yelling "UTAH JAZZ." Then we told him who we were and he gave us some very rude gestures and told us to leave. Way too funny. It doesn't really bother me when people reject us (which happens a lot). I know I tried my best and that that person maybe just wasn't ready yet to hear the gospel, but maybe someday he or she will be. The various trainers I jeondoed with taught me to hold my head high and press forward! This is the happiest work on Earth, and I'm a part of it!
  • We started talking to a man sitting on a bench. He stood up, walked over to me, put both hands on my stomach, started shaking me, and yelling very loudly "YOU NEED TO PUT ALCOHOL IN THIS BELLY." My poor trainer panicked, thinking I would be traumatized, but I was laughing so hard there were tears in my eyes.
  • Various old men on the streets will randomly salute me and try to speak English, which is about how I described to you on the phone.
Anyway, it was a good time.

GENERAL CONFERENCE. Holy cow. I've watched it twice now, and it was AMAZING. The overwhelming theme, in my opinion, was love. Plain and simple. So much love. I wish I could share some more thoughts, but I'm running short on time. We have places to be and things to do!

Sunday was a little overwhelming, but I know all the experiences I'm having are for my benefit. Basically, to make lots of long stories short, I had to report on our current investigators in missionary council meeting (IN KOREAN, mind you, which is so hard). I'm giving a talk next Sunday in Sacrament meeting. And the week after that I am performing a musical number in Sacrament meeting. Lots of learning experiences!

I have so much more I wish I could say, but I don't have the time today. Hopefully next week.

One last thought. Last night (Sunday) I was feeling so overwhelmed. I'm in a foreign country with responsibilities I feel like I'm not strong enough to handle, surrounded by a new culture and people who don't speak my language, and I don't speak theirs. Towards 7:00 we get a call from a man who wants to hear our message. He picked us up in his car and we went to the chapel to teach him the first discussion... and he actually seemed really interested! He said he would read from the BoM and pray about it. It was exactly the boost I needed.

But that's not all. We decided to walk back to the apartment instead of having this man drive us. While walking, TWO people stopped us and wanted to hear our message. That never happens. Ever. It was so cool to see God working through us, and it was the reminder I needed that I am here to do His work in His way.

I love this country, I love these people, I love the food, I love the ocean breeze in the mornings, and I love the gospel. I'll try to make more time next week to write. I love you all.

-Elder Sorensen




No comments:

Post a Comment