Week Eight
Annyeong haseyoooo!
Another great week. I feel bad writing again from the MTC... there really isn't much variation. Give me ten days and I'll have some exciting stuff to write about :)
Korean went to a whole new level of hard this week. It's been so fun! I can't wait until it all starts to click.
I keep Dana's name tag on the front of my scriptures
as a constant reminder of an obedient, hard-working
missionary.
|
On Sunday night, Lloyd Newell from Music and the Spoken Word was our devotional speaker, and it was probably one of the BEST devotionals we have had! I have been singing in the MTC choir, so in preparation for Brother Newell's talk, we practiced 4 pieces, and the idea was to do a mini "Music and the Spoken Word," called "MTC and the Spoken Word." It was so cool. His talk was all about trusting the Lord and ridding yourselves of all fear.
We started out by singing "High on a Mountain Top." Brother Newell spoke about when the angel appeared to shepherds watching over their flocks by night, the shepherds were "sore afraid." The angel's words are God's words to us today--"fear not."
Next we sang "How Firm a Foundation." Verse seven was given specific emphasis:
"That soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I cannot, desert to His foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake."
I have a strong testimony of that truth. I have had days where I feel strength beyond my own lifting me up and pushing me forward.
Third was "Redeemer of Israel," and finally "Let Us All Press On." The points Brother Newell highlighted in these was that we must "doubt not, fear not." I am on the Lord's errand, and if I put my trust in Him, He will not let me fall.
One of the neatest things about being a missionary is that after a good devotional or Sacrament meeting, instead of returning to the world, we go right back to study and prayer. You know when you hear a great talk and you think "wow, I'm totally going to apply that" then a week later, you've forgotten the whole thing? That doesn't happen here. Things sink in, because you spend weeks studying them. Being a missionary really is an invaluable opportunity, and it is shaping the course of my life.
While on the Temple Walk on Sunday afternoon, I took a good half hour to lay in the grass behind the temple and just think. There are so many exciting things that lie ahead... I'm preparing for the biggest adventure of my life so far. Everything will be so new: food, culture, monsoon weather! I could not be more excited. I was watching a little family (it looked like two BYU students and their toddler) and I thought, "Wow, they look like they're my age." Then I realized, "OH MY GOSH, THEY ARE MY AGE." Life is going so fast. It seems crazy that in 22 months, that's what I will be preparing for. And it's just as crazy to think that in a few years, my friends will all be married couples. The future is so daunting and exciting and wonderful.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to be a new missionary host! It was amazing to me to see these new Elders arrive and look back on how far I have come since those first few days. As I took their luggage, and families hugged and cried, it brought back some emotion. I remember those first few days. I remember the joy and the excitement and the heartache and the fear. As I took these new Elders to their dorm rooms, I could see all the same emotions in their faces. I wished each of them understood what lay ahead of them, and how amazing the next few weeks were going to be. I told each of them that the first thing they will notice is how sacred the MTC is. I let them know that the first few days can be difficult, but to hang in there! There is no greater work than this, and the Lord is aware of His missionaries. I actually had one Elder cry when I told him that all the things he is feeling are normal, but to know that he will come to know the Savior like never before.
I wish I could share more. I can really only write down the knowledge I have learned here, but the wisdom can only be learned through the experience. So that's what you get, a whole lot of knowledge but not a lot of wisdom :) unfortunately, wisdom must be gained from the experience, not reading someone else's words.
I'll send some photos.
All my love,
Elder Sorensen
| Look who it is--Elder Kimble Mahler! He'll arrive in Busan six weeks after I do. |
No comments:
Post a Comment