Thursday, September 17, 2015

September 17, 2015

With the wonderful sisters in my district, Sister Gomez
from Hawaii and Sister Clove from St. George.

Don't feel guilty about the letters; I love them! It's so exciting to check the district mailbox and see you have a letter. It's wonderful to hear from home.

Wow, what a week it's been. Isn't this weather fantastic? It makes me want to go for a canyon drive! It makes me so excited for Busan, where rain is a regular thing. I can't wait. It feels a little surreal being here. I sit in class and watch the rain falling outside, and I feel like I'm in a dream. There is almost no better feeling in the world than walking back to our dorm late at night, with the air a little chilled from the evening rain storms, a light fog over the campus, and watching hundreds of missionaries make their way back to their buildings. I feel so close to everyone here, knowing we are all united in the same great purpose. The days are just flying by here in the MTC. I still have so much to learn, it makes me wish there were more hours in the day.

Well, we are now the oldest district in the Korean branch. We said our farewells on Sunday, same as a few weeks ago. We gathered outside and sang "God Be With You 'till We Meet Again" in Korean, and prayed. So powerful, so sad, and yet so exciting. In just over two weeks, we will be the ones on our way out. With the older districts gone, it's been very quiet in our building, which adds to the strange feeling of none of this being real.

My district is absolutely amazing. I love those missionaries so much. I watch them prepare every day to serve the Lord, and I can only imagine the impact they are going to have. I have no doubt that District 28J is going to shake the depths of hell.

Here's a photo with Elder Hurtado and Elder Stradling. We decided
to sneak attack them with some photos.

Yesterday while I was eating dinner, guess who came up behind me and about scared me half to death? Elder Jake Dalley! Seeing him here with his name tag on was such a happy moment. It's been six week since I've seen anyone I am super close to, so seeing him was quite a shock. It was great to see my chinhan chingu (close friend). I couldn't help but think of the experience Alma had when he ran into the sons of Mosiah after years of being apart. "What added more to my joy, they were still my brethren in the Lord." To see Elder Dalley here, and to know that we are both where we are supposed to be, and that we are "brethren in the Lord," was a great feeling. I didn't get much time to talk to him because he was on his way to a meeting, but he seemed very happy. I'll track him down again and get some pictures.

Let's see... I'm having trouble thinking of what else to write. I feel bad that these letters are so lacking in details, but there's not a lot of variation in my day while at the MTC.

I've only been here for six weeks, but I can already tell that it will be so difficult to come home from all of this. Of course, I miss people, and it will be so exciting to see everyone again, but never have I felt such a sense of purpose and dedication. It's odd, my days are so busy--always running places, preparing lessons, practicing Korean, studying the gospel, etc.--but I've never felt more peace. I know exactly who I am, and I'm part of something that's much bigger than me. I can't really explain it, but I know there are people waiting for me in Korea. I can feel it, and it brings a sense of loyalty and joy. I feel that my purpose is being fulfilled.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned since coming to the MTC is to trust in God. I want whatever He desires for me. In the song "Lead, Kindly Light," there's a part that says "I loved to choose and see my path; but now, Lead thou me on!" That's the best way I can describe my feelings. I know His will will make me happiest. A trick I've discovered since coming here is instead of praying for different circumstances, pray to be able to view your current circumstances with an eternal perspective. Don't pray to have your own will done, but rather, the strength to endure God's will. When Christ suffered in the Garden, He prayed, saying "Father, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, Thy will be done." God still subjected Christ to His will, but He did send an angel to strengthen Him. We should do likewise--let your wishes and concerns be know to God, but, in doing so, make it clear that "Thy will be done." You will either be given what you asked for, or strengthened to endure what God wants for you. And a word of caution: be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it.

One more thought, from the hymn "Lord, I Would Follow Thee." Verse two has been playing through my mind all week. "Who am I to judge another, when I walk imperfectly? In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see. Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee." 

I am sorry this letter was so scattered. I've never been so happy to be a missionary. There is power in this work, and there is peace and joy in service. I can't wait to get to Korea!

Mom, you said you heard a rumor that I will get to call home from the airport... I can neither confirm nor deny this rumor :) just make sure you're awake very early on Monday the 5th.

I love you all. Thank you for the letters!

-소랜슨 장로

And the last one is with my good friend Elder Matt Smith, going to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment