Monday, July 17, 2017

Monday, July 17, 2017
Old fashioned standards

Hello family! It was a very hot, very productive week. On average we spend about six hours a day out walking around and proselyting, and the rest of the time is spent meeting with investigators, English class, studying, doing service projects, etc. There is so much humidity that it only takes a minute or two after going outside before you're soaked from head to foot.

We were planning on a baptism this week for Tuan, but he was unable to come to church yesterday so we are pushing the baptism to the 29th.

Minh is awesome! Right now he doesn't really now if he believes in the things we are telling him, but that doesn't stop him from coming back and wanting to learn more. He is so curious, and has been doing a lot of research about the church. He says he can only find good things (??), which is odd, because I have lost so many investigators because of the terrible rumors and stuff that are posted on the internet. He is showing signs of progress.

I don't have much to write this week, so I'll end by sharing a few thoughts. My thoughts lately have been difficult to keep track of, almost like they too easily jump from one topic to another. They follow the cool Busan wind. With the end in sight, I have been reflecting over the many lessons I have learned in my time here, and I've been spending time in the mornings reading through my 650+ mission journal entries.

I'm beginning to recognize the importance of being "willing to submit" to the Lord in all things--not just here and now, but after I return home as well, and on into the decades to come. Many claim that our standards and the rules we submit to in the church are "old fashioned," but as Neal A Maxwell said, that claim is an understatement, for our standards are actually "old-old-old-old-old fashioned--going back to the beginning of time and beyond." The Lord has always and will always require submission to these standards, which submission He rewards gracefully. As I read my journal entries, it is so obvious to me the blessings that I have received for submitting to the Lord.

Elder Maxwell also stated that "However great human accomplishments are, they are but a tithe of what the Lord could help us to achieve on this planet if only we would be meek and lowly, submitting to Him." My success in the next stages of life, whether in school or career or family life, are entirely dependent upon my submissive discipleship. I have learned that by myself, I really can do nothing, but I have an absolute certain conviction that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 3:13).

I love serving as a missionary here in Korea. I know that "the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His" (Timothy 2:19). The Lord is eager to bless those who will submit to His standards.

May we all find joy in the molding process.

Love,
Elder Sorensen

This is what a college campus looks like during summer vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment