Monday, June 6, 2016

Monday, June 6, 2016
Rain and Sunshine

Thank you everyone, especially you, mom and dad, for your emails! It's so fun to get online after a week and see what everyone is up to. Love you guys.

​For mom- this is a really tiny rice field. Usually they cover what seems like miles in both directions. The fields are kept flooded all summer long.

This last week was a fun one. It was tough, but hey, life would be boring if it weren't a roller coaster, right??

Unfortunately, every lesson we set up for the week fell through. And none of our contacts will contact us back. And we haven't heard from Brother Ha for a few weeks. BUT. It's okay! It happens. It's hard to see people come so close, then get distracted by the world. We're not worried though. Intermixed with the heartache and the rejection is miracle after miracle.

In particular, we had a neat experience this week. We were on our way out to start proselyting, but before we left the house, we both had the feeling that we were not headed to the right place. So we pulled out a map to determine a new location to go proselyte.

We got off the bus and wandered down a lonely little road heading to a small coastal village. Before we even reached the gate of the very first house, the old couple sitting inside saw us approaching in the pouring rain and yelled from the door for us to come inside.

They fed us a small meal as we sat on the floor of their home. (Most Korean homes don't have tables with chairs; people usually sit crossed-legged on the floor around a small little table.) The discussion was gospel right from the beginning. This sweet old couple told us they had started attending a church just a few years ago, and they LOVE it. The old man even sang us some hymns.

They listened to us while we shared the message of the Restoration.

After our time there was well spent and we stood to leave, the thought crossed my mind "pray with them." So we all knelt on the floor and I prayed that they would know that the message we are sharing is true. The Spirit was so powerful, and at that moment I felt as though I wanted nothing more than for them to know we had told them the truth. As we headed back out into the rain, they told us we could come back anytime.

It was a great reminder to me that this is the Lord's work.

This next week is the last one of the transfer, so the next time you hear from me I could be in a totally different part of the country. Maybe Jeju island? Or I could still be here in good old Tongyeoung :) we'll see.

As I mentioned last week, I was able to baptize the bishop's son yesterday. The bishop couldn't do it himself because he has some problems with his legs, so he asked me to do it. Oh man, that was an experience. I'll tell you more about that when I'm home... but basically the water heater at the church broke so I had to baptize him in freezing cold water. Jeongseok was so cold that he tried to climb out of the font, so I had to grab him by the back of his collar and throw him under the water. It ended up being a really great experience though.  :)


Anyway, I'm out of time. I'll attach some photos.

Until next week!

Love,
Elder Sorensen

For p day today, we explored an abandoned town. It was a little spooky. People just up and left, leaving behind all their possessions. The red word on the wall says "cheorgeo," meaning "demolition," and it's spray-painted on all of the houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment