Monday, May 2, 2016

May 2, 2016
Annyeonhashimnikka?

The biggest news--I started a new transfer today. Much to our surprise, Elder Tuinei received a transfer call to go serve in Masan as the new zone leader (we both thought we would stay another transfer here together). I'm still here in Tongyeoung, now serving with my really good friend Elder Harkness (we lived in the same house in Haeundae). I'm super excited!

President Barrow laughed when he called us Saturday night, and told me he's really sorry to keep swapping companions on me, but that the Lord has need for them elsewhere. So far, of the four companions I have had since coming to Korea, three left me to became zone leader, the other one is my district leader, and Elder Oh (my trainer) is now the new AP. My new companion, Elder Harkness, is coming from Haeundae, where he just spent four transfers as the zone leader. Companions was one of my biggest worries before coming out on a mission, but I have been blessed to serve with so many incredible guys. I am learning a lot from these older missionaries. A LOT. A strong companionship influences every aspect of the work. One of my very favorite quotes before I left goes something like this (I can't remember who said it):

"You lift me, and I'll lift thee, and we'll both ascend together."

Through the ups and the downs of missionary work, having a strong companionship with trust and the Spirit changes everything. As we work together to love the people, to serve whole-heartedly, and to lift each other, that's when the miracles come. I'm grateful to all my companions and the experiences I have shared with each of them. It's hard to keep saying good bye to so many great guys, but hey, when I get home I'll be the best man at SO many weddings :) haha.

He declined my baptismal invitation.

After a whole week of calling and knocking on his door, we finally made contact with Brother Ha. On Saturday night, he answered the door in his pajamas and took us to a convenience store to get drinks. Long story short, he got cold feet and lost his phone and is embarrassed to be seen by the members, but he still wants to be baptized. We will keep working with him.

The biggest highlight of the week was going with the sisters to visit an old member woman who lives in the hospital. She's 95 years old, and never gets visits. She just cried when she saw us. When we left, the sisters gave her and the other old women with her hugs. I have never seen people so excited to be hugged. Their faces lit up! Experiences like that really make missionary work awesome.

Well, I need to end. I am so excited to talk with you in real time next week! I don't know all the details yet (I will try to get those to you by Saturday night), but right now it seems like I will probably call home around 8 or 9 in the morning on Monday, Korean time. I'm not sure when that would be in Utah time. Maybe Sunday around 5 or 6?

Love you guys,
Elder Sorensen

Oh Korea. This is quite the story. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment