Thanks for the letter! It's great to hear from home.
I think I mentioned it before, but the Spirit is out of control here. I especially feel the Spirit, I think, when singing hymns as a whole MTC. Have you ever heard 3,000 missionaries sing "Called to Serve" or "The Spirit of God?" Wow. And the devotionals on Sundays and Tuesdays are incredible. The MTC is softening my heart to such a degree that I usually head back to my dorm with swollen eyes from crying so much. The Spirit is THAT strong.
I apologize for my letter last week. I realize it was pretty scattered. There is so much to write, it's hard to organize it all.
I am really learning to LOVE the MTC. It's hard, but so worth it. My testimony is growing every day. I used to count down the days until I fly to Korea, but now I'm counting the days I get to stay in the MTC. I realize how much I need to learn, and how much I need the MTC.
I have gained a testimony this week that God does not choose the qualified; He qualifies the chosen. I feel myself being molded. It can be painful, but I know there are people in Korea that I need to reach.
Something I have learned this last week that I think can help everyone (especially all of you who are starting school) is to take each day one at a time. Elder Bednar taught that usually the Spirit will give just enough revelation for you to take a few steps. He compares it to a foggy day -- you can see just ahead of yourself, but nothing more. So you walk forward, and as you do, you continually see just a few feet ahead. This has been great for the MTC. Just put one foot in front of the other, and God will guide your path.
Korean. I LOVE it. It's like a Sudoku puzzle for me; a mind game. A couple of days ago I lay awake in bed for nearly an hour conjugating verbs in my head. I can effectively pray and bear testimony in Korean, as well as teach very basic gospel principles. It's super hard, but I can feel it coming.
I have heard for years that the MTC/mission life is hard. It is, but not for the reasons I had imagined. I actually love our daily schedule of arising at 6:30, in bed at10:30, and all the many hours of study in between. The hardest part is not being able to talk with the people I love most. I haven't even thought about my phone, music, TV, my car... I don't miss those things. I only miss people.
I'm trying to think of more to write... but I can't think of much. It's funny, I'm so busy, yet when email time comes, I can't remember what to say.
Oh, here's something. Elder Romney and I were on toilet duty for our dorm yesterday morning. We scrubbed and spit shined 32 toilets. Not an experience I would care to repeat.
The days are going quicker now. Six weeks from Monday and I'll be on a plane to Korea!
I love you all.
-Elder Sorensen
PS. I'll try to send some photos later. Mom, I'll send you the emails of my friends.
One last thing I thought I would mention. The MTC is very hard, but I love being here. And I am happy. I have never felt more sense of purpose or allegiance to God. Love you! And thanks for the package!
One last thing I thought I would mention. The MTC is very hard, but I love being here. And I am happy. I have never felt more sense of purpose or allegiance to God. Love you! And thanks for the package!
I have a couple requests. First, I packed the wrong pair of jeans. Oops. They're quite large on me. If you can, will you please send me my pair of tan American Eagle jeans? If not, hopefully I'll grow into them :)
Also, will you please mail me pictures of the family that Nina took? It would be nice to have a few. Thanks. I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Sorensen
No comments:
Post a Comment